Sunday, June 17, 2007

Fathers Day

I have learned from experience that one of the most important things a father does is demand that a child respect the mother. That's also one of the things I miss the most since my children have no father. A wise person once said (and I wish I remembered who is was) that the greatest thing a father can do is to love his child’s mother. Both boys and girls need that example of how to get along with the opposite sex. Girls who have loving fathers grow up to seek a solid man to love. Boys who have that example treat women well. You can’t underestimate the importance of a good father. If you have one, thank your lucky stars. If you are one, you have a tremendous responsibility even when you don’t get any immediate feedback. I once had a fantastic father, and I can still see his legacy in the way my brother treats his wife and kids. That being said, lets move on to the funnier side of Father’s Day.



Raggedy has a post for fathers of teenage daughters.




Five Kids Toys that father’s Would LOVE to Receive!



Tips for the Modern Dad.

And one for you guys who DON’T want to embark on fatherhood.



Top Ten Things You'll Never Hear a Dad Say

10. Well, how 'bout that?... I'm lost! Looks like we'll have to stop and ask for directions.

9. You know Pumpkin, now that you're thirteen, you'll be ready for unchaperoned car dates. Won't that be fun?



8. I noticed that all your friends have a certain "up yours" attitude ... I like that.

7. Here's a credit card and the keys to my new car -- GO CRAZY.

6. What do you mean you wanna play football? Figure skating not good enough for you, son?

5. Your Mother and I are going away for the weekend ... you might want to consider throwing a party.

4. Well, I don't know what's wrong with your car. Probably one of those doo-hickey thingies -- you know -- that makes it run or something. Just have it towed to a mechanic and pay whatever he asks.

 3. No son of mine is going to live under this roof without an earring -- now quit your belly-aching, and let's go to the mall.

2. Whaddya wanna go and get a job for? I make plenty of money for you to spend.

1. Father's Day? aahh -- don't worry about that -- it's no big deal.



DAD’S GARDEN


An old man lived alone. He wanted to spade his potato garden, but it was very hard work. His only son, who used to help him, was in jail. The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his predicament.

Dear Son,
I am feeling pretty bad because it looks like I won't be able to plant my potato garden this year. I'm just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. If you were here, all my troubles would be over. I know you would dig the plot for me.
Love, Dad

A few days later he received a letter from his son.

Dear Dad,
For heaven's sake, don't dig up the garden plot, that's where I buried the bodies!!
Love, Son

 At 4 a.m. the next morning, the local police showed up and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left. A few days later the old man received another letter from his son.

Dear Dad,
Go ahead and plant the potatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances.
Love, Son

 This is a fine opportunity to share one of my favorite cartoons, the one where Popeye finds his long-lost Pappy on Goon Island.


THE PROUD FATHER

(Thanks, Eva!)  A man has six children and is very proud of his achievement. He is so proud of himself, that he starts calling his wife, "Mother of Six" in spite of her objections. One night, they go to a party. The man decides that it's time to go home and wants to find out if his wife is ready to leave as well. He shouts at the top of his voice, "Shall we go home 'Mother of Six?' His wife, irritated by her husband's lack of discretion, shouts right back, "Anytime you're ready, Father of Four." Good news! Men are living longer these days. Yes, I found a game for Father’s day, a super-violent game called Dad ‘n’ Me. Thought for today: If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated, let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right. - Bill Cosby PS Extra-special Happy Father’s Day wishes for Hoss, Wulfweard, Carl, Ed, Nick, Kirby, Peter, ER, Joel, and JohnThis post originally appeared on June 16, 2006.   Original comments after the break.  
Peter http://holtieshouse.blogspot.com/ DATE: 06/16/2006 01:46:59 PM

Why thank you Miss C, that was a very nice thought. ----- COMMENT:

AUTHOR: Karl http://artistschmartist.typepad.com/secondhandtryptophan/ DATE: 06/16/2006 02:20:22 PM

Ha, found you through Boing Boing, actually. Love your posts, definitely bookmarking you. Thanks for the laughs.

AUTHOR: Miss Cellania DATE: 06/16/2006 02:28:58 PM

Thanks, Karl! I woke to a deluge of visitors thanks to Boingboing and Neatorama, but I wondered if ANY of them would be back tmorrow! -----

AUTHOR: actor212 http://simplyleftbehind.blogspot.com DATE: 06/16/2006 03:00:35 PM

Thank you, Miss C. I hope to live up to your wishes.

AUTHOR: rockyjay  www.rockyjay.com DATE: 06/16/2006 03:57:22 PM

Directions are for pussies anyway.
I've never been lost -- however, sometimes it has taken a little longer than anticipated to get from point A to point B. That I admit.

AUTHOR: OldGuy http://oldguy.castlecops.com/ DATE: 06/16/2006 05:29:09 PM In read a line in a Stephen King book that went like this:

"My mother taught me everything I needed to know to survive.

But my dad taught me the magic."

I've always loved that line because to me it represented what fathers are really all about, teaching their kids to see the fun part of life, as well as its beauty, like looking at a gorgeous sunset, or going bug catching or yes, how to burp the alphabet.

And that's ceratinly not downplaying the role of mothers, because if you read the line again you'll see it says mothers teach their kids how to survive.

Yeah, okay, they probably both do a little of both but you get my point.

My mom taught me how to cook, and wash dishes and clean bathrooms and all that stuff (and yeah, we had some fun too) but it was my dad who was the fun adventurous one, and that's how I try to be with my kids.

I love nothing more than watching an X-Men movie with my son or traipsing through a field with my daughter looking for neat bugs.

Anyway, sorry for the long comment (heck, it's almost a post in itself) but I've always loved being a father. I may not be the best one around but I love it and I give it my best shot.

AUTHOR: Old Horsetail Snake www.oldhorsetailsnake.blogspot.com DATE: 06/16/2006 07:15:06 PM

Dear Missy: thanks, and happy Mother's Day 2007 to you (in case I'm not around to wish it. heh).

AUTHOR: goldenlucy  mucholderthanu.blogspot.com DATE: 06/16/2006 08:37:48 PM

Loved yesterday's post. What I want to know is why folks can't tell the difference between plural's and possessives (sic!). Drives the old lady bats.

Fathers' Day has always been problematic for me. Mine was such a loser that I never had a model for what a good father and husband might be. So of course I did not choose wisely! I think that's still my biggest complaint with Pappy Dearest.

However, I'll celebrate tomorrow with four of the finest men I know---my son and grandsons. That makes it all better for me!

BTW, I think everybody ought to honor you single moms as well on Fathers' Day. So Happy Fathers" Day Mom!!

AUTHOR: Vickie  http://www.beyondthecrossroads.com/ DATE: 06/16/2006 11:41:56 PM

You have a great site, I enjoyed my visit. Thank you so much for your visit yesterday. My day was made very special by my many friends and new visitors who came by.

I have seen you often at several of my friends site and know you must be special to visit with them often. I hope we will be visiting again soon.

BTW--Single moms should be recognized on Father's Day for they serve two very important functions....Mom and Dad....so on Sunday enjoy your day. :)

AUTHOR: actor212 http://simplyleftbehind.blogspot.com DATE: 06/17/2006 12:02:47 AM

Miss C, I just had to comment again, because I had to do a double take to make sure that nursery was called "PURSLey's".

AUTHOR: Hula Doula  http://www.huladoula.thezeroboss.com DATE: 06/17/2006 12:48:27 AM

 That was WONDERFUL. Thank you for that. The best gift a father can give his children is to love their mother is exactly right on.

AUTHOR: Dick http://RVTravelsWithHuggy.blogspot.com DATE: 06/17/2006 12:56:58 AM

 I agree with goldenlucy & Miss Vickie that you are serving in a dual role so should celebrate Father's Day on Sunday, too. I am sure the girls would like to take you to dinner but if they are like my grandkids & you let them pick the place, be ready to order a Big Mac! This will be my first one alone since Annie died so it will be kind of hard. A year ago we were camping with the motorhome in Spokane & went to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, the Longhorn BBQ. This year I may take myself & my memories to dinner at Outback, one of our favorites in our neighborhood.

Thanks for your visits & comments. You are welcome anytime. -----

AUTHOR: LBB  http://bugsbutt.blogspot.com DATE: 06/17/2007 06:56:24 AM

That list was a hoot!

AUTHOR: Jean-Luc Picard  http://jlpicard.blogspot.com/ DATE: 06/17/2007 02:45:12 PM

I loved the list of things you'd never hear a father say!

AUTHOR: Ed http://taoofhealth.blogspot.com DATE: 06/17/2007 02:49:07 PM

Thanks for the father's day tribute and for the extra wishes too. How thoughtful and sweet. What a special person you are.

If a person has trouble as a parent, it is my belief that they just have to be patient, hang in there, and eventually it will all work out. I don't want to speak too soon, but I think I may finally be getting to the point where my son sees me no longer as the cause of all his problems but as a resource to help him make progress along life's way, so patience and love do pay off.

I've been worried about Raggedy. I hope she gets better soon.

You take care, and best wishes always, Ed. -

AUTHOR: actor212 http://simplyleftbehind.blogspot.com DATE: 06/17/2007 07:09:00 PM

"8. I noticed that all your friends have a certain "up yours" attitude ... I like that."

AHEM!

Not only did *I* say this to her, I said this to her about HER attitude! I only felt the need to warn her about the consequences...

Oh...and number 1...I've said that too.

AUTHOR: Jacq   www.houseofjacq.blogspot.com DATE: 06/17/2007 07:46:53 PM

Great post, Miss C! Funny, funny, funny. -

AUTHOR: Raggedy  http://its-a-raggedy-life.blogspot.com/ DATE: 06/17/2007 08:49:12 PM

 Great post Miss C!
Thanks for the link too!
Enjoy your vacation!
Huggles and Love,
Raggedy -

AUTHOR: Walter http://yourkeeper.blogspot.com/ DATE: 06/17/2007 08:49:29 PM

If I had any children, I would be the best father in the whole wide world. But I don't think that I do. So You guys have nothing to worry about from me. Happy Father's Day! to all you super Dads.

AUTHOR: OldGuy http://oldguy.castlecops.com/ DATE: 06/18/2007 01:54:18 PM

I don't have a teenage daughter yet but I have a 9 year old going on 16 so it makes life interesting.

Have a great day Miss C.
-----

No comments: