Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Easy Does It



A 1940 film by Chevrolet tried to appeal to women, “the fair and the weak.” It goes on and on about how much work women do, until it made me tired. Aren’t these women lucky, that after typing all day at the job, they can go home and use an automatic wringer washer instead of doing laundry by hand? That is, after she gets dinner on the table. The entire point is that now that Chevrolet has made shifting gears easier, even women can enjoy driving! (via Atlas Obscura)

2 comments:

Jane said...

My mother had a 'mangler' like this when we were kids. She used to iron everything with it but especially the SHEETS. I'm lucky I wash mine on a normal basis, fuhget about ironing. sheesh

Anonymous said...

Same here Jane. My mother ironed everything even towels, wash cloths, socks, and mittens. Bitched constantly about how much work it was and how much time it took up. In desperation my father bought her one of those fancy top of the line mangles from the Frigidaire dealer his company shared a building with.
It didn't look to me like it was any faster or easier.
xoxoxoBruce