Thursday, September 07, 2017

Miss Cellania's Links

Megafloods of the Ice Age. This is why the Pacific Northwest looks like it does.

The Search for Madame Liu-Tsong. Anna May Wong's groundbreaking TV series The Gallery of Madame Liu-Tsong disappeared from the face of the earth.

Häagen-Dazs Ice Cream Is From the Bronx. The name of the ice cream is a twisted linguistic puzzle.

10 Foodborne Illnesses That Will Make You Wish You Were Dead. Just reading about them will cause nausea.

Who Caused the SL-1 Nuclear Meltdown that Killed Three Men in 1961? Was it sabotage, suicide, or carelessness caused by anger?

It’s Incredibly Hard to Get Dental Care in Rural America. It's bad enough having one dentist for every 5,000 people, but worse, that dentist might not take Medicaid.

The Horse-Riding Librarians of the Great Depression. They were bookmobiles for places that had no roads. (via Metafilter)

Is There a Clown in this Sewer? Police in Pennsylvania are looking for pranksters, or possibly viral marketing pros, who left red balloons tied to city storm drain grates.

The Scandalous History of Sex-Ed Movies. There was a need, but prudishness made the early attempts altogether cringeworthy.

I don't go out of my way to promote my Facebook page, but I'm getting close to a thousand likes, so maybe you can help out.

7 comments:

Lilylou said...

Great story on the Scablands and the megafloods that carved out our PNW landscapes! Thanks!

Unknown said...

re: "Is There a Clown in this Sewer?"
Remember the concern about ten years when they started finding suspicious boxes in Boston and a few other cities — "... wire-ridden devices; blinking magnetic devices; blinking devices with lights in the shape of…block-shaped two-dimensional aliens with pixilated faces ..." — and it turned out to be a guerilla marketing campaign for the upcoming "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" movie?

My vote is that somewhere, someone *DID* remember and came up with this brilliant idea of marketing this film ("It") by creating this campaign that they knew would quickly end up all over the internet. Huge exposure and word-of-mouth for very little effort and expense (maybe a buck each for the balloons and another couple hundred to hire someone to go around some night and tie 'em onto the sewer grates).

Unknown said...

Sorry Miss C, don't use Fecalbook. Nor do I use Twister, MySpooge, Gargle+, or any other anti-social network. I also don't bank online.

Miss Cellania said...

Tehy found who did the balloons. It wasn't the pros, just a group of clever teenagers. http://mashable.com/2017/09/06/it-balloon-prank-teen-girls/#F9zj8_p7oqq8

Miss Cellania said...

Well, I shouldn't have mentioned Facebook at all. Now Facebook wants me to prove that my name is legally Miss Cellania, or I'll lose my account. I guess it's goodbye Facebook. I like my privacy.

xoxoxoBruce said...

Screw facefuck, you don't need 'em, we love you anyway.

gwdMaine said...

So a long time ago, when, unless you went to college, no one
had ever heard of Facebook. They decided to open up to
everyone. Very controversial at the time - remember? It
was going to ruin the 'experience'. Being inquisitive, I
opened an account. But I wasn't all-in and used the name
"John Smith." Hung around for a coupe of months, decided I
didn't like it, tried and failed to close the account, so I
just left it.

Fast forward several years and the family is having a
Facebook discussion. I comment I don't have time for that
stuff. My older daughter goes "Sure JOHN." I'm looking
quizzical and the other daughter goes "Yeah JOHN SMITH."
Busted. So I convinced them I wasn't spying and spent an
hour so convincing Facebook I wanted out.

Fast forward more yeas to. . . last week. I get an e-mail
from Facebook. Hi John! Welcome Back. This is just to
confirm your account was reactivated from an Android phone.
Click here to confirm. Not. Other than I just did activate
a new Android. I can't unsubscribe or turn it off without
logging in. But I can't login either. So now I'm getting
e-mails: Hi John. You seem to have a problem logging in.
Click here and we'll get you started.

I feel special. Two billion users and they want me.

I wouldn't worry about it Miss C. I'd probably have to
prove I'm NOT John Smith in order to close my account.

Ba$Turds.